Big Jim’s Chicken and Pumpkin soup
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1½ lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups of leaks cleaned and sliced
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cups cut up pumpkin or. Butternut squash cut into chunks
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. Sea Salt
- ½ tsp. fresh ground pepper
- 1 ear corn, kernels removed
- 3 cans chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tbsp. fresh oregano leaves
- 1 tsp basil fresh Julianne
- ½ c. Sour cream (optional)
- Roast the pepper.
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Place the red pepper and jalapeño on a baking sheet and cook under the broiler, turning occasionally, until the skins blacken, about 10 minutes.
- Seal the charred peppers in a plastic bag for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Peel, stem, seed, and cut peppers into 1/2-inch pieces. Set aside.
Make the soup:
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken pieces and cook until browned.
- Remove the chicken and keep warm.
- Add the leeks and pumpkin and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add the flour, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the corn, peppers, onion, chicken, broth, and oregano, basil and bring the soup to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, about 30 minutes.
- Garnish with sour cream if desired and serve hot with French bread !!